A river cruise on the Douro is an unforgettable journey through Portugal’s heritage, nature, and spirit: A quintessential travel experience for anyone seeking to relax, enjoy and appreciate this stunning region and dramatic landscape that’s also UNESCO World Heritage.
And what better way to embark on this famous river than aboard the MS Amalia Rodrigues, a superior, modern vessel by Inside Europe partner CroisiEurope that’s named after and pays tribute to the renowned Portuguese singer and actress, Amália Rodrigues, the Queen of Fado. The ship’s contemporary interior design reflects the essence of Lisbon with warm terracotta tones and light-hued woods, reminiscent of the southern Portuguese spirit and Fado’s musical heritage. While the cabins are on the smaller side (with the exception of the suites), the common spaces, restaurant, lounge area and sundeck offer lots of seating throughout.
Renowned for its traditional French cuisine, but also tributes to local, regional specialties, traveling with CroisiEurope offers our travelers are more European river cruise experience than journeys created by American companies for American tourists.
Features and Amenities on the MS Amalia Rodrigues
- Dining and Entertainment: The main deck houses the window-lined restaurant where all meals are served during the cruise. Breakfast and lunch are usually offered as a hosted buffet with some self-serve options, while dinner is a multi-course dining experience. While there’s no assigned seating, couples or families can choose to dine alone or with friends. The Mid Deck features a lounge and bar, offering occasional live music, a dance floor for those inclined, and a cozy patio with impressive landscape views.
- Sun Deck: Equipped with a pool and loungers, the sun deck provides ample of space for relaxation and a panoramic view of the surroundings. There’s even a small pool on the MS Amalia Rodrigues to dip your feet (or more) into.
- Cabin Amenities: Each cabin offers 4 star hotel amenities like a TV, telephone (for internal calls), an ensuite bathroom with shower and toilet, towels, a safe, independent air-conditioning, 220V electricity, and Wi-Fi.
Douro Ship Facts and Figures
- Passenger and Crew Numbers: The ship accommodates 132 passengers with a crew of 26. From past experiences, we can confirm that he staff aboard is friendly, helpful and always happy to help the guests, be it with special dietary requests (including vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options), or an extra serving of a beloved dish. The ship’s cruise director and front desk/hotel team provides information on the destinations visited and cabins are serviced daily (or as needed).
- Ship Size, Cabins and Suites: The MS Amalia Rodrigues has a length of 80 meters and a width of 11.4 meters. 66 comfortable cabins and suites range from 130 to 205 square feet. Suites feature added enhancements such as an extended sitting area, with those on the upper deck benefiting from a private terrace. Standard cabins are around 140 square feet in size and feature double or twin beds, en-suite bathroom with shower, TV, climate-controlled air conditioning and an in-room safe. Smaller double cabins on the Main and Middle decks are 130 square feet with fixed double beds. Upgraded, preferred locations cabins on the middle and upper deck have floor to ceiling windows opening to a French balcony, those on the lower accommodation deck have fixed panoramic windows.
Destination Douro: Spirit of Portugal
The MS Amalia Rodrigues explores the Douro River, a valley with stunning landscapes and a UNESCO World Heritage Sight known as “The Spirit of Portugal”. The Douro journey takes passengers through terraced vineyards, quaint villages, and quintas along the river. The itinerary chosen for Dr. Quintana’s ‘Summer Serenades Concert Cruise’ in July of 2024 includes the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Salamanca and other significant locations in Portugal and Spain, offering a deep dive into the region’s culture and history.
Boa Viagem — Bon Voyage to Portugal
Wether you’re joining Dr. Quintana’s ‘2024 Summer Serenades Concert Cruise’ or prefer to travel with Inside Europe aboard CroisiEurope at another time, the MS Amalia Rodrigues is an excellent and comfortable option for culturally rich experience, blending modern amenities with the soulful essence of Portuguese heritage and the scenic beauty of the Douro River. This journey is not just a cruise but an immersive experience into the heart of Portugal and its neighboring regions. Now imagine hearing yourself or your friend sing in stunning churches and cathedrals along the way. And oh the food and wines awaiting you…